About Conan Heiselt

Conan is an Instructional Designer who used to be a Systems Engineer who was originally going to be a Graphic Designer who instead ended up studying Asian languages for a while before moving on to other things. Aside from making tutorials for Camtasia for Mac, creating and maintaining its tutorial viewer, and the hundreds of other things he does at TechSmith, Conan spends time remodeling his house, fixing a garden tractor older than himself, writing mobile apps, and taking apart/making things with his kids. He also has a strange sleep schedule.

Screenchump to Screenchamp Review 5: Know Your Audience

One of the challenges of creating video is that it’s hard to judge your own work. You make something, fall in love with it, and then changing it becomes difficult at best. In order to help everyone make better videos, we set out on this idea: what if we loaned our expertise and reviewed our customers’ videos in the same way we would review our own videos and gave them some screencasting tips? So that’s exactly what we’ve done… We asked all of you to send us videos that you want help Continue reading

Insert Blank Time and Space on Your Timeline with Camtasia for Mac

Last week I stumbled across a neat feature in Camtasia that the made its way silently into version 2.4. It's one of those things that's seems pretty minor but is great to have when you need it. Consider the following scenarios: Ms. Gee is almost done with her project but realizes she needs to add a clip at the beginning, making sure to keep everything on all tracks synchronized. Andrea is editing, working her way down the video when she sees a spot she needs to extend for about 2 seconds. Mr. Continue reading

Remove Unwanted Elements From Your Recording with Freeze Region in Camtasia for Mac 2.4

One of my favorite new features in Camtasia for Mac 2.4 is the ability to freeze a specified region for a period of time. Now, I could already do that by copying a section and cropping it down, but the Freeze Region video effect not only does that but it also doesn't cover up the cursor. Let me repeat that: you can freeze what's under the cursor while allowing it to keep moving. That's pretty fantastic. To give you an idea of why I'm so excited and to show you how it can help you in your editing, Continue reading

Create Custom Spotlight Effects in Camtasia for Mac

There are lots of ways to direct your viewers' attention: boxes, arrows, zooms, crops, etc. But I got asked last week how to create a rectangular spotlight, something that Camtasia doesn't have a specific feature for. That said, creating one that's both easy and flexible is completely possible--all thanks to the Mask effect. Here's how: Have any other effects you'd like to see? Leave a comment below. Continue reading

Add More Zing to Your Camtasia for Mac Screencasts with Snagit

Camtasia for Mac gives us a lot of options for capturing and annotating our screencasts: screen video capture, web cam, audio, importing media, callouts, arrows, blur, etc. However, sometimes you need--or just want--more. It's then that you may want to turn to Snagit, Camtasia's beloved sibling, to pitch in. Some of the things I import from Snagit to Camtasia are: Custom annotations (like curvy arrows!) Stamps (cursors, more styles of keyboard keys, etc.) Still screen captures (as-is Continue reading

Make Your Own Transitions in Camtasia for Mac

Transitions are an important element of film, including screencasts. They provide a way to smoothly jump from one clip to another or signify changes, such as the passage of time, moving to a different application, progression of topics, etc. While Camtasia for Mac only has five built-in visual transitions, I find that 99% of the time I don't need anything else besides the "Fade In/Out" transition. The other 1% of the time, though, it's nice to know that Camtasia gives me the flexibility to Continue reading

An Oldie but Goodie: Using Markers to Make Editing Easier

Back in the good old days of Camtasia for Mac v.1, I created a tutorial on ways that I use markers while editing to help me work faster and easier. Recently, I ran across it and to my delight, nearly everything in it is still very relevant to Camtasia for Mac v.2. And, as a BONUS, this tutorial also shows how to make your own keyboard shortcuts for Camtasia (or any Mac application) menu items. Without further ado: Can't view the video? Watch it on Screencast.com. What tips do you have Continue reading