If you’re a regular Camtasia user, you probably have some of the default keyboard shortcuts memorized. For example, you might make a selection on the timeline and then press Command-X to cut the selection instead of navigating to the function in the menu. If you use other video editing software in addition to Camtasia for Mac, you may notice that the keyboard shortcuts don’t always align. Fortunately, you can assign a custom keyboard shortcut to most of the tools and commands in Camtasia for Mac.
To customize keyboard shortcuts:
- From your System Preferences, select the Keyboard preference pane and click on the Keyboard Shortcuts tab.
- Select Application Shortcuts, then click the plus (+) sign.
- Choose Camtasia from the list of applications.
- Then, enter the exact name of the menu item you want to execute. For this example, I want the shortcut for New Project to match that of Final Cut Pro, so I’m entering “New Project” in this field.
- Finally, just pick your keyboard shortcut (I’m choosing Shift-Command-N to mirror Final Cut Pro), and click Add.
You can also use this process to add keyboard shortcuts to menu items that don’t have one assigned by default. An example of this would be the Add Captions menu item.
So, what’s your most-used keyboard shortcut in Camtasia for Mac? Is it one of the defaults, or one you customized yourself?